Top Image: Bird Hide in progress for Cumbria Wildlife Trust on Walney Island, June 2017
Islands Project Manager
Barrow Borough is the No.1 Borough in England for the number and quality its Natural Heritage assets.
(Royal Society of Arts and Industry – Heritage index, 2016 & 2017)
Art Gene is looking for an experienced Project Manager, to join our growing award winning team. The successful candidate will manage a current £1million suite of projects across the Islands and Bays of Barrow and Furness – Including Art Gene’s core projects and those of our Coastal Community Team.
(The Islands and Bays of Barrow and Furness Coastal Community Team is led by and was established by Art Gene in 2016).
This full-time fixed-term contract, is a core role facilitating Art Gene’s upcoming and developing work. A creative approach to project management and fundraising, enthusiasm and an ability to engage the public through immersive consultation events is essential.
This exciting role will build on and facilitate our existing partnerships with statutory bodies, individuals and communities Locally, Regionally and (Inter)nationally – uncovering and developing aspiration at a grass roots level within a glocal context.
The role will be central in helping us deliver visionary projects developing capital infrastructure and improved health impacts.
The Islands Project Manager, will manage a suite of projects within a collaborative team, led by Art Gene’s artist co-founder directors Maddi Nicholson and Stuart Bastik and lead associate architect Charlie MacKeith.
Other team members will include Art Gene’s core administrative staff, our new Landscape Engagement Manager (to be appointed), freelance associate artists, designers, architects, and other specialists.
The Islands Project Manager will work collaboratively with the team to design, plan, manage, publicise and deliver engagement activity and events. The role will involve planning, evaluating, report writing, handling budgets and fundraising, to develop new strands of work and to continue the role.
The project development and delivery, including events and working with the community, may be outside the 9 to 5 culture, on weekends and evenings. Driving, flexibility, responsiveness and an ability to manage one’s own workload are key to the successful performance of The Islands – Project Manager.
£22 000 – £25 000 per annum., dependent on experience. 3 year Fixed-term full time contract.
Based at Art Gene, Barrow in Furness, Cumbria.
- Education to degree level, or above
Skills and Abilities
- A self-starter with the ability to initiate, plan, and implement their own workload
- A friendly, down to earth individual with a can-do attitude, a sense of humour, with good inter-personal and communication skills
- Able to work flexibly and responsively to meet the demands of the role
- Able to represent Art Gene and the Coastal Team
- An ability to communicate to different sectors: communities local government, artists, stakeholders and statutory bodies
- Initiating, managing and leading projects
- Working successfully in both community and professional contexts
- Handling budgets
- A track record of successful fundraising
- Working in the visual arts, design or architecture, or an interest in extending into this area.
- Project planning and management systems and techniques
- Engagement methodologies and understanding of current thinking, around ‘engaged practice’
- Budget management
- Report writing
- IT systems, preferably Apple Mac, including email, internet, presentations, spread-sheets exel and word.
- Social media
- CRB Checked, Enhanced disclosure. (can be applied for after the role starts)
- Full driving licence and own vehicle
- Able to work evenings and weekends as required by the demands of programme delivery
For more information: Contact Norman Wild. email@example.com
Links : (see further Reading section below for links)
Supply letter of application with biography, C.V. and a statement detailing your interest in the role & how your knowledge and experience will add value to our projects.
Optional: Up to 6 images of recent work if applicable
Email Applications to:
by 9 am Monday 14 th Aug 2017
Or post to:
Tel: +44 (0)1229 825085 ( Art Gene Office)
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview in Barrow-in-Furness 1st Sept 2017