Open call for Artist in Residence
Extreme Views Pt. 2
Art Gene are pleased to offer an opportunity for an enthusiastic and experienced visual artist to work alongside us on our current programme ‘Extreme Views’.
We welcome applications from artists who can add value to the programme, prompting dialogue and new approaches to connecting communities with landscape, developing an in depth understanding of the environment of Barrow-in-Furness.
The artist in residence should have experience of working with communities and socially engaged arts, with a practice that spans both making and exhibiting, and project work in the environment. The artist would need to engage with ‘hard to reach’ and diverse groups of people.
Extreme Views Day Cavendish Dock, 2019, photo Maddi Nicholson
The artist will be required to develop work around Art Gene’s current programme:
‘Extreme Views’, community engagement and conversation within the ‘extreme’ coastal landscape; ‘Art Gene & Environment Conference’, an event which will bring locals and experts into conversation about their place; ‘Allotment Soup’, the Isle of Walney Community Growing Space where the community are engaged in sustainable food growing and arts events; ‘Re-wilding Barrow’, local communities are engaged in promoting biodiversity and native wildlife.
The artist will be expected to:
- Work in collaboration with the Artist Founders and Project Manager on the development and delivery of artwork and events
- Exhibit works developed during or as a result of the residency
- Provide a written plan for the project
- Attend meetings with Art Gene as required
- Contribute to collating feedback and evaluations for reporting to funders
- Contribute to the promotion of the project, providing written and visual materials as required
- Be part of the Art Gene & Environment Conference
- Contribute to Art Gene’s strategic goals
- Ensure equal opportunities policies are adhered to throughout and to actively promote and make the project accessible to marginalised groups
- Ensure health and safety policies are adhered to throughout, paying special attention to the offsite nature of work
The work will be managed and promoted by the Artist Founders and Project Manager in collaboration with the artist. Art Gene can provide studio and workshop space for the artist.
About Extreme Views
The borough of Barrow-in-Furness is rated 1stin England for the quality and quantity of its natural heritage assets (RSA Heritage Index est. 2016), a fact which sits in stark contrast to the extreme health and wellbeing issues for which the same area is ranked 5th nationally.
Extreme Views is Art Gene’s programme of research, community engagement and delivery of art works within the extreme post-industrial coastal landscape around Barrow and the Furness coastline, in partnership with the Islands and Bays of Barrow and Furness Coastal Community Team.Extreme Views aims to link communities to their landscape through outdoor events and the opportunity to get passionate about their place and make their views heard. In this time of extreme change, art and artists take a stand – act and deliver strategically, effect change locally, work with the mechanisms of local government and make a difference to the lives and landscapes of England’s largest isolated coastal community.
Art Gene’s Extreme Views acts as a conflict resolver, examining opposing visual, perceptual, physical, environmental, societal and political views.
The programme builds of Art Gene’s strategic vision for the Northwest, and has wider national resonance and relevance, inviting locals and specialists into a conversation about their place. Extreme Views Part 2 extends this conversation into new locations within the borough. http://www.art-gene.co.uk/project/extreme-views/
Moth trap light installations by Allotment Soup Artist in residence Hannah Brackston, Barra Night Life, 2019, photo Anna Litchfield
- 4 week residency over 2 – 3 months starting October 2019 – January 2020- £3000
- Artist’s accommodation and travel expenses – £1000
- How to apply
To apply please send
- Expression of interest (no more than 1 page)
- Portfolio of 10 images of your work
To Anna Litchfield, Project Manager email@example.com (email only, no postal applications please)
Deadline Monday 7th October 2019
Interviews will be on Friday 18th October (if shortlisted we will be in touch by 14th October).
DOWNLOAD THE FULL BRIEF: OPEN CALL FOR ARTIST RESIDENCY_ EXTREME VIEWS PT2
Extreme Views Think Tank, 2019, photo Maddi Nicholson